by Jeremy Roebuck, The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA He fought off conviction for a second time last week. On Tuesday, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Ligambi could end up a free man.
Federal prosecutors said Monday they would not try Philadelphia’s reputed mob boss for a third time after two juries failed to deliver a verdict in his racketeering and illegal gambling case.
U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno was expected to dismiss the remaining counts against the 74-year-old Tuesday morning, clearing the way for his release from federal custody for the first time since his indictment in 2011.
“He should be available for lunch tomorrow,” said his lawyer, Edwin Jacobs Jr.